Five-Minute Yoga Breaks
As teachers become more pressed for class time, the value of a simple tool for managing stress, increasing focus, and being physically active, increases.
Five Minute Yoga Breaks can help you achieve these goals. We have CDs for regular and special needs classrooms, afterschool programs, and Physical Education and Health classes.
GreenTREE has designed a program for grades K-5 and Special Needs.
- Both students and teachers take a break
- Helps students be more effective learners during class time
- Builds yoga into existing school programs: classroom time, afterschool programs, or Physical Education or Health classes.
- Helps students learn to self-regulate and manage stress
- Builds teamwork and lifetime fitness skills
- Builds focus and concentration
- Increases strength and balance
Five-minute Yoga Breaks for Any School Volunteers
“The kids LOVED the program, participated fully and kept the teachers on track for remembering to do the breaks. It was integrated in so many ways: before testing, during transitions, at the end of the day.... You name it!! Yael did a fantastic job creating a program that is easy to follow and incorporate into a school day, a must for all classrooms. And ... the teachers loved having the opportunity to take 5 during their busy day.”
— Mary Beth Quick, Heart and Soul Yoga, Virginia
GreenTREE Programs Meet National PE Core Curriculum Standards (K-12).
Read Letters of Support
PRINCIPALS SHOW THIS SHORT VIDEO (7 minutes) at a teachers' meeting -- it includes a yoga break to allow you to see the interest level. CLICK HERE
Yoga can help students and teachers:
- Calm down
- Perk up
- Focus and concentrate
- Relieve stress and build teamwork
- Be more positive about learning
No yoga mats needed. You don't have to move furniture, clean off the desks, or take off shoes! Just take a break. And be confident your program will be successful.
Bring this program to 6 classrooms for 8 weeks using a volunteer who does not need to know any yoga. The Kit includes all materials for one school, one school volunteer, and six classrooms:
- CDs and/or CD downloads: Five Minute Classroom Yoga Breaks
- Volunteer Training Video
- Volunteer Information Packet
- Principal/Teacher Information Packet
- Business Sponsor Information Sheet*
- 2 sets of Posters (12x18 inch Bee Breath and Tree Pose)
- Laminated Classroom Door chart
- Shanti the Monkey Coloring Book
- Instructions on how to keep the program going by having teams of older students from these classes, acting as the volunteers, then do the yoga breaks with younger classes.
- Stress Break Support Materials:
- Teacher Information
- Home Breathing Card
- Note to Parents
*Ask a local business to sponsor the program. It's tax-deductible.
Listen to the Introduction & Two Breaks Now
- Introduction for Students (3:00) (click for mp3)
- Snowboarder (5:00) (click for mp3)
- Pre-test Break (2:00) (click for mp3)
Comments after the program!
“What an amazing opportunity to volunteer while having so much fun! The kids are amazing. They are so excited for the Yoga Breaks. They love the chance to move, to feel the control they have over their body and breath, and to be a little silly and have fun at the same time. Each 5 minute break has become precious to me. Thank you GreenTree for the chance to help my community with the power of Yoga.”
— Sunnie Howard, GTY Volunteer
“GreenTree Yoga's PE provides Jackson Elementary students with an opportunity to focus on developing healthy bodies and minds. ... Yoga has been a wonderful approach in promoting healthy lifestyles for all of our students.”
— Sandra V. Buendia, Principal, Jackson Elementary
“Our teachers say yoga breaks are great when transitioning to the next subject or whenever we need a fun break. And they help reduce anxiety and stress before a test or quiz!”
— Heidi Kunzler, Principal, Uintah Elementary School