Handout: How Do I find a Trauma-sensitive Yoga Class?
Effects of Trauma and Stress:
- The Body Keeps the Score: by Bessel van der Kolk, MD. 2014.
- Latest research from Trauma Justice Institute and other resources:
- Trauma and the Body by Pat Ogden, PhD 2013
- Trauma and Restoring the Body. Interview with Bessel Van der Kolk, 2013. CLICK HERE
- Survivors of Trauma and How They Heal by Belleruth Naparstek and Robert Scaer. 2004.
- In an Unspoken Voice: How the Body Releases Trauma and Restores Goodness by Peter A. Levine, PhD. 2010.
- When the Body Says No: Understanding the Stress-Disease Connection by Gabor Mate, M.D. 2003.
For Work with Children:
- Trauma-Proofing Your Kids by Peter Levine and Maggie Kline. 1997.
- How Children Succeed by Paul Tough. 2013. Read about the many reasons to teach kids resiliency, awareness, and grit (and make the yoga connection!)
How to Change the Way We Think:
- Kitchen Table Wisdom, Rachel Naomi Remen, MD.
- The Emotional Life of Your Brain by Richard Davidson. 2012.
- Train Your Mind, Change Your Brain by Sharon Begley. 2007.
Compassion Fatigue and Vicarious Trauma:
- Secondary Traumatic Stress: Self-care Issues for Clinicians, Researchers & Educators. Stamm (ed.)
- Help for the Helper: The Psychophysiology of Compassion Fatigue and Vicarious Trauma by Babette Rothschild, 2006.
- Trauma Stewardship: An Everyday Guide to Caring for Self While Caring for Others by Laura van Dernoot Lipsky. 2009.
- “Reading this book is like looking into a mirror. We will see ourselves much more clearly, will understand ourselves much better and will come up with better ways of being It and of doing It. Compassion, yes Compassion is Happiness itself. Enjoy” — Thich Nhat Hanh
- The Trauma Stewardship Institute
- Yoga: Overcoming Trauma through Yoga: Reclaiming Your Body by David Emerson et al. 2011.
- Yoga Skills for Therapists: Effective Practices for Mood Management by Amy Weintraub, 2013.
- Yoga from the Inside Out: Making Peace with Your Body Through Yoga by Christina Sell, Hohm Press, 2003.
- “Yoga and PTSD” by Bessel van der Kolk, MD. CLICK HERE
Yoga for Veterans:
- Yoga Service Council, 2016. Best Management Practices: Yoga for Veterans
- CD: Breathe In, Breathe Out: Breathing practices to help balance the nervous system. With Suzanne Manafort
- CD: iRest Yoga Nidra: Easing into Stillness with Karen Soltes